Sunday, April 18, 2010

Post #5, 4/18/10 Coatings & Gutted



65 Mustang Restoration


Wow what a day! Over 5 hrs of walking around a huge swap meet,,, looking for the killer mustang find. Hundreds & hundreds of sellers,, only 5 of them had mustang parts(and 2 others had total rust bucket Stangs for sale). I was actually able to get some great items from one of them,,, but most of those items I got for my boss's 65 mustang he just picked up,, like-new bars for the pony & coral,, 4 nice spinner hub caps, super clean air cleaner, an original 1965 repair manual for a buck,,, and a ton of small odds & ends. 

It wasn't a total bust though,,, at the end of the day,,, Finally, there he was, 1 of the 3 vendors I was hoping to see,,, the KBS Rep. from Perma Coatings (www.iowakbs.com  1-800-991-1043)




The KBS line of products are similar to Por-15 products,, but they offer a much larger variety & color selection,, and they are less expensive! These are some of the products I got today, with a couple of other items that are on their way,, (that's why you want to find the KBS rep at the beginning of the day). 


These products will be used to protect nearly the entire car(wherever exterior paint isn't applied),,, this car may never rust again,,, No, really! Check out their website,, a lot of good info on some killer products! ( www.iowakbs.com ) (1-800-991-1043). This is one of those improvements I was talking about!


I was also fortunate to find Van Smiley, owner of Advanced Blasting in Cedar Rapids Iowa. (319-362-0568) and talk a bit more about his upcoming part in my mustang's restoration. Once we get the car completely disassembled,,, Advanced will have the pleasure of completely blasting the entire car,, inside and out. They use a special cut glass to cut through the rust and other crap,, but doesn't harm the surface. Actually the surface has the perfect texture of the KBS products or primer,, plus it'll help to uncover all of these hidden spot welds we need to cut out for metal replacement. Hard to build anything without first taking care of the foundation,, in our case, the frame/body.


Well after all of the dreadful walking was over,, it was time to get back after it on the car. We finally got the entire inside of the car gutted out,,, some cussing was involved, followed by a few bandades!!! LOL. 




Remember the Shop manual I got today,,, it came in real handy. Don't you just love the nice job someone did on the radio hole? I know I don't,,, it looks like a lot more work to me,, just what I needed!


After that we removed the high-tech master cylinder & front lines,, this will later be changed to a better dual bowl master to help out with the new factory style front disc brakes we will be installing. This will be much better than those crappy from drum brakes. I've debated over adding power brakes,,, but I don't think so,,, I don't know maybe,,, hmmm?????




We then jacked the car up and put it on some super high jack stands (2ft),, and then started on the front suspension. We got the left front done & called it a night (11pm),,, and now I'm writing this,, it's been a long day!




I still get a kick about how small the front sway bar is (approx. 11/16"). Well hopefully more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment