Sunday, June 3, 2012

Post #48, 6/3/12 Rear Under-Floor, Ex Hanger & Brake Line Brkt Mods

65 Mustang Restoration

 I tore into the underside of the back half of the car this weekend with the goal of pretty much getting it all done up. You can see there's a ton of new metal in the rear,, pretty much everything except the rear valance.




The 1st thing to do was to remove the rear valance, brackets & the bumper. 


I spent several hours with the die grinders, going over the whole back half of the car with several different wire brush attachments and cleaned off the rest of the light surface rust,,, then sprayed most of the surfaces with a rust eating and neutralizing acid. 


The next thing on the list was to prep both of the rear seat areas, for the new dual exhaust system, which included: removing the single exhaust rear brake hose bracket, installing the new proper hose bracket in the proper location, and also drilling/installing the rear muffler hanger mounting bolts/brackets,,, pictured below.


The next 4 pictures(with measurements) are ones that I took off of my boss's 66 Shelby,, I figured they'd work for me too. 1st 2 are of the driver's side.



Below is the Passenger Side.


Use for both sides.


Once I had all of the drilling & mounting all done, I gave the entire area a good wipe down & coated everything the a healthy coat of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator, and then a coat of their "Top Coat" paint. It has a very nice semi gloss finish and looks pretty nice, but doesn't always picture very well with a strong flash.
 



Above & below are pics of the new brake hose bracket & the exhaust hanger mounting bolt's bracket, which I riveted into place.



And here's what it looks like with the rear muffler hangers temporarily installed. This is a pretty sweet setup.



And here's the rear after the 2 coatings. It'll be nice not having to worry anymore about it surface rusting up due to the humidity. 
 


Now I'm going to have to figure out what to tackle next,, maybe the hood hinges, springs, and the prop rod.



Til next time,,,




2 comments:

  1. Nice work Doug. BTW, what was the "rust eating" spray you used? I need to get something to clean up the surface rust under my dash. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been so long since I bought it, not sure of the name, but I do know that it's an Eastwood product,, a bout a gallon of it the same time I bought their "Afterblast" which I would highly recommend to everybody who has any parts sandblasted.

      Delete