Saturday, August 16, 2014

Post #51, 8/16/14 Bodywork & Door Deadening

65 Mustang Restoration


Stopped by to check on the bodywork progress and was very pleased with how it's coming along. The quarters, roof, rear valance, and deck lid are pretty much ready for final primer. The doors have been removed & Wald had me take them home so I could install the sound deadener.








 So before Waldo gets rock'n on the doors, we thought it would be best for me to install all of the Extreme Fat Mat Sound Deadener inside of them, since our goal is to have this car sound more like a Beamer when you shut the doors, than a hollow sounding 65 Mustang. Unlike Dynamat,,, the Fat Mat is a 70 mil thick product, which is about twice as thick as the Dynamat was,, and another benefit of the Fat Mat is the cost,, about 1/2 the price,,, and boy does it stick!




Had to tape up the edges of the access holes to stop cutting my arms all up (very sharp)
 


I am a believer of doing a very thorough job when I do something, so therefore I covered as much of the door's surfaces that I could,, and believe me, it's not easy getting to the hinge end of the doors(a large flat-tip screwdriver was involved). 
  The pieces on the outside are there just to show you some of the the areas that matting would be placed on the inside of the panel that the interior door panel attaches to.
 

  
Here are a few pics of the finished door. A total of 4 lbs. of matting went into each of the doors,,, which bring the total footage of matting up to approx. 170 sq. ft. installed on the car so far,, with just a bit more to go.




Here's a real time saving tip for everyone,,, each time I measured out a pattern for the 1st door I was matting,,, I made a reverse pattern for the 2nd door that I was going to do next,, made life so much easier!  I coded each piece so I'd know where it went when I was ready for it.



Well thank goodness that's done,,, now on to the rear end pumpkin rebuild,,,, 




No comments:

Post a Comment