Sunday, September 13, 2015

Post #59, 9/13/15 Let's Paint the Car!


65 Mustang Restoration


After more than 5 years of hard work & prepping,, it's finally time to get some color on the car. The color we chose is "Kona" blue, which is a 2011 Mustang GT 500 color. 

Waldo spent the majority of a full day cleaning, prepping, taping, and then cleaning the car some more to get it ready for it's color. 





   I think he's a taping artist.


We Have Color!!




 That's Waldo,,, 




We took the car home,, and for 3 weeks we didn't touch the car,,, we wanted to let the paint dry & harden up,,, so once again we turned our sights onto other projects,, and the main one was reupholstering the seats which I covered in the last post. What I didn't go into, was the temporary installation of the seats into the car so we could see how they fit,, how the wife & I fit them,,, would I actually need to install the seat-back adjusting bolts,,, and mainly,,, how well I fit the car since I'll be doing the majority of the driving. 


The jury is in,,, these have to be one of the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in! I was worried about the bolsters being to tight on me since I'm a pretty big boy,,, but they were perfect. And as far as the adjusting bolt kit,, Not Needed,, the lay-back angle was perfect for me,, and the wife said the same thing for her,,, she said it was very comfy,, and that it didn't hurt her back like a lot of seats do,,, which will be handy on a 5k mile trip.

Unfortunately,,, there is one small problem,, or might I say,, adjustment that needs some attention, and that will be the steering wheel. It's just too close to the seat, making it very hard to get in & out of the car. I thought by installing the 1 1/4" lower seat platforms, this wouldn't be a problem,,, but then again, I wasn't planning on this seat cover & foam option at that time. With the lay-back of the seat, head clearance seems like it'll be good, but the 16" steering wheel will have to go,,, not a biggie. I have since ordered a wheel that looks very close to the original,,, but is only 13.5" and is not quite as deep (which will move it a couple of inches closer to the dash),, and it also has a much thicker gripping surface  which I like a bunch!




After three weeks of drying time, we then started installing all of the little bolt-on parts,,, but 1st I had to install the New AC Condenser & drill the two 1 1/4" hole into the new radiator support for the 2 AC lines that will pass through it. After that,, with only a few tweaks here & there, all the parts were on & lined up very well.

 



Now after a month of drying time,, it's back over to Waldo's house for the weekend so he can can Cut & Buff (final sanding & buffing) the car.











Wow,,, Shiny,,,  the pictures just don't do it justice. In a few more days, we'll pick it up & start on the assembly,,, including the one items that scares me,, the headliner install,,,, oh boy!

Till then,,, cya






No comments:

Post a Comment