Monday, February 26, 2024

Post #70, 2-26-24, How I modified my front valance for more air flow.

1965 Mustang Restoration

 

  After always running on the warm side, I figured it would be helpful to increase the amount of direct air flow to my radiator. And as you can see, with the front lower valance removed, approx. 30% of the lower radiator, is finally exposed to oncoming fresh air. It's a huge amount of extra exposed radiator surface area, especially if you're running an A/C setup with an evaporator which also covers up the majority of the radiator.


 

Now you have to realize, I just can't go & butcher a huge hole on my valance due to another problem I had to deal with. In Iowa, we're required to run a license plate on the front of our vehicles, so I have to still have enough room to mount one. I looked at relocating it a different spot on the front,,, but everything just looked goofy, so I decided to keep it in the middle.

 

Measure everything 10 times, cut with care, and vwolah,,, 

 

Grabbed some cardboard & made up some templates & then repeated with some metal, & finally, welded it all up. And as you can see, the radiator is still completely uncovered.


 

Then it was time to fab up the license plate mounts & see if everything fit, without covering the opening or dragging on the ground.

 

Then it was Waldo's turn to have fun & make it all pretty.

 

Those are the two square holes I drilled, plus an extra small hole for a rubber snubber to keep it from rattling.

On the inside of the hole, I added a flat area to the sides & bottom to be able to easily mount some screen to protect the radiator.




I think it came out all right. It definitely cools better!
 





 


 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment